21 March 2019

Winding Down after Surrey Art Fair


After the Surrey Contemporary Art Fair last week end, I'm taking a few days to wind down. We drove back in one hit (15hours) with my husband doing the major part of the driving. It was the first time I had driven since my hand op at the end of July so I was hesitant to drive, but I found it OK for short periods. it was all motorway driving, so not much strain on my hand. We were going to overnight near Lyon but, as that is only just over 4 hours from home, the temptation to plough on and sleep in our own be was too great.

I started attending art fairs this time last year at the same venue, Sandown Park Racecourse, and have since exhibited at Reading, Windsor and Cannes. They are large organised venues with the stands provided and prepared for the art.

The English art fairs have a great buzz to them and the comraderie between the exhibitors is great, with everyone cheering everyone else on and being happy when they make a sale (even happier when you make your own sale of course). The Cannes art fair did not have the same level of friendship between the exhibitors, but as that is the only one I've attended in France, I shall reserve judgement. One thing they all have in common is that the food is lousy and expensive but I've solved my coffee addiction by taking my own hot water and coffee.

 Last weekends fair was the worst one for me for sales out of all of them, a lot of interest. I have three more booked for the year, so I will assess at the end of the year. It seemed to be a mixed bag with some people doing OK but many also not selling much.

I do enjoy speaking to the art lovers who attend, and as the fairs are my only direct contact with potential customers, it's a good way to make contact in a friendly environment.

The amount of art and variety of art (all good as the artists are vetted first) is truly wonderful to see, so it is worth making the effort to attend as a visitor and spend a couple of hours looking at art and talking to the artists about their art and what type of art you like.

I am at Newbury and Goodwood in May and at Windsor in November. If you would like advance tickets to any of them, sign up to my newsletter as I send out invitations to all my subscribers before each fair.

Leave a comment if you would like more information about the fairs.

CONNECT WITH ME
Keep up with my latest paintings and works in progress
on Instagram @artbymarion

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.