06 June 2014

Le Petite Cabanon Provence, oil palette knife Landscape Painting

Le Petite Cabanon Provence Landscape Painting
18x24cm Palette knife painting
Oil on MDF canvas panel
Available in my Etsy store

These little cabins are scattered throughout the Provence countryside. I wonder what they are used for, are they barns or for habitation?

About this Painting
I sometimes feel I put too much detail in the foreground of my paintings, so with this one I used broad swipes of the palette knife with the colours in the rest of the painting. The painting turned out quite high-key but I resisted the urge to tone it down as it has a nice lively look about it. Let me know if you think.

A few close-ups

2 comments:

  1. As you know I love your work. I love the high key of this painting and the rich colors. In answer to your question, I am wondering if you have too much color in the foreground when that is of course not your center of interest. There is so much to look at, partly due to the color but the thick palette knife texture has to be considered as well. I personally am thinking about whether my own palette knife paintings or my brush paintings are my favorite. Or should I do both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol. That is food for thought, it is a very high key painting. I've been trying a few with just the brush as I seem to have lost some of my brush technique. I often revert back to the palette knife - so maybe a half and half approach is where I shall go. I also find I am smoothing down a lot of the palette knife work, especially in the early phases of a painting.

    As to your question - t would be a shame to not do palette knife work as the ones I have seen so far have a good feel to them, as do your brush ones of course. You do seem to have more control with the brush, probably because of practice.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.