14 July 2016

Golden Light Provence Landscape Painting

Golden Light
Provence landscape painting
18x24cm (approx 7x10)
oil on MDF canvas panel

Imaging walking in the evening glow of the sun on this peaceful path in the foothills to the alps.

About this painting
This is an older painting which I reworked to adjust some of the colouring.

I covered the painting with a thick layer of wax mixed with liquin and then liberally applied more paint into the layer. It is a fine balance of how much paint and pressure to use on the palette knife. The wax/liquin mix is quite slippy and the paint has to be thick enough to 'stick' but the mix holds the texture of the applied stroke. It also discourages fiddling with the stroke as that just wipes it off again.

Here is the old version, have I improved it? There is always something lost as well as gained when reworking a painting. I'd love to hear your thoughts.



Some close ups of the texture

 

CONNECT WITH ME:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.