21 January 2020

Naming Paintings ...

One of the painting 'wisdoms' is that you should have interesting, descriptive titles for your paintings. For example, 'Red Flowers in a Green Vase' just doesn't cut it. Even if you are painting a landscape your shouldn't name the painting after the location but think up a more intriguing title (I have to admit, I don't quite understand this one). I am very guilty of this because I could never think up better titles than 'Red Flowers in a Green Vase' or 'Lavender Fields in Provence'.

Since painting abstracts I don't have this easy option available and as I think labelling abstracts 'Untittled' is opting out, I had to come up with a better solution.

I use a note book to jot down ideas as and when I come across them. The ideas can come from something I've read, thoughts that pop into my mind, poems, music and even other painting titles which lead to something suitable. When it's time to name a painting, I look through my list and I am always surprised at often a suitable a title  pops out.

What are your thoughts on interesting titles? Tell me how you name your paintings in the comments below.

CONNECT WITH ME
Keep up with my latest paintings and works in progress
on Instagram @artbymarion

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.