20 December 2013

Provence Poppies Galore, palette knife painting in oil

Provence Poppies Galore
Palette knife painting
Oils on box canvas
20x15cm (approx 8x6 inch)
Available in my Etsy Store

The red is bright in this - but not quite as bright as this shows. I altered it in Photoshop and got a pretty good approximation of the true colour, but it never seems to load up right - Oh well!

I did not use any true reds in the poppies, they are mainly a combination of Winsor and Newton scarlet (an orangey-red), yellow, permanent rose and alazarin crimson. In sunny areas I always use yellow underneath the red, as it always seems to make the reds 'pop'. Contrary to what logic tells you, I often find that red loses it's brightness if painting it on top of white.

Close-ups of the knife work

1 comment:

  1. It is a great pleasure visiting your paintings through Leslie Saeta's blog. I find your work both lively and colorful. I can't wait to see your future creations. Happy and creative Year ! See you at the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.