09 October 2014

Autumn Quiet oil painting

Autumn Calm oil painting
With a nod to Emil Gruppe
Oil on 3-ply wood gesso panel
20x30cm (approx 7x12inches)
Available on Daily Paintworks

I came across a painting 'Autumn in Vermont' by Emil Gruppe and loved the light he captured in it.

I roughly sketched in the composition and continued the painting without looking at the reference as although influenced by him, I wanted this to be my painting.

About this painting
I am starting a love-hate relationship with this surface. It is so smooth. I usually like to work on a textured ground and, although I added an additional layer of gesso, it was still quite smooth and very absorbent. I was fighting the board a bit and so resorted to using a brush in combination with the knife. The paint also dries much quicker on this surface. It is brilliant white, and although I used a multicoloured underpainting (cool colours for dark areas and warm colours for light areas) I think the painting has a nice luminous feel to it.

Some Close-ups


And how it would look framed

1 comment:

  1. Your autumn colors are so rich. I like that you include close ups as they show your wonderful paint quality. You are an A+ in my book.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.