27 September 2014

Suit Home Handy Man - Day 27, 30 day challenge


'Suit Home Handyman'
Abandoned building Provence
Palette knife painting
Oil on 40x50x4cm box canvas (16"x20")
Available 95€, international shipping included.

There are many abandoned buildings amongst the lavender fields. What are their stories? What were they for? dwellings? stock? storage? Why does no-one care? Why are they still standing? Too many questions and no answers.

About this painting
I have lots of photos of abandoned buildings of one sort or another because I think they are interesting, but have never used them in a painting. I cropped the photo but as I started painting, realised I had not cropped it close enough so I had to increase the size of the building. I still have to fight my tendency to put in too much detail, the painting was about the building so I concentrated on that.

Some close-ups showing the layers of paint


And how it would look in a floating frame.