03 September 2014

Splendour in Death - Day 3 of the 30 day challenge

Splendour in Death
Oil palette knife painting
18x24cm (approx 7"x10") on MDF canvas panel
Available on Daily Paintworks

See yesterday's painting HERE
 

Whenever I go out and about I am always taking pictures of trees. My husband thinks I'm mad as often the trees are not 'picturesque' in themselves but there is something in them that catches the eye. With this one it was the way the dead branches played against the light of the sky and how, even in death, it supported life.

About this painting
The original painting had a secondary tree next to it




I thought I had almost finished so I put it on my stand for a dose of 'looking at' to see what final touches were needed. It suddenly struck me that it just didn't work. I asked myself "What is this painting about?" It was about the branches against the sky which was clouding over. I took my palette knife and completely wiped out the second tree and replaced it with more sky. It was a good reminder to not simply copy the photograph and to use your artistic license. What do you think? I think it works much better.

Some close up of the knife work


And how it would look in a frame


4 comments:

  1. Yes, the second trip was competing for attention. This lone dying tree needed to be a portrait...so in my mind's this is a tree portrait. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jess and Chris. Carol thanks for that affirmation, it's funny how we sometimes forget it's about the painting.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.