11 September 2013

Sunset Storm Brewing - Day 11, 30 days hath September challenge

Sunset Storm Brewing
24x30cm (approx 10"x12")
oil on canvas sheet
Day 11, 30 days hath September challenge
Started with a brush and completed with a palette knife
Contact me here about this or any other painting

A sunset is the topic for painting number 11 in the challenge.
Thank you wetcanvas.com
The photo for this has been sitting in my 'to do' folder for quite a long time, and is a reference from wetcanvas.com. I am always weary of tackling sunsets but - as part of the challenge is to try different things - here it is.
A new painting surface
The surface is also new for me, it is painted on canvas from a canvas pad that arrived in my supplies order the other day. I thought I had ordered a paper canvas pad for practice, but this is actual canvas with a universal primer. It is medium grain and a delight to work on. I painted directly onto the surface without additional preparation and initially I used a brush and then reverted to the palette knife. It seems to have accepted the oil very well.

I will leave it for a couple of days to see if the paint 'sinks in' or remains vibrant.

See yesterday's painting HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.