05 January 2017

Tango, Day 5 30 paintings in 30 days

Tango Abstract Painting
55x46cm
Acrylic on board

Day 5 of Jan 2017 30 paintings challenge
Click Here to see Day 4's painting
I've taken a departure from my collages today. With this challenge I want to try a few different abstract techniques to see which resonates with me. One of the techniques I want to try is geometric abstract.
I actually started this many years ago not long after I first started painting, here is what it used to look like.
As I went looking for an old canvas I could reuse, I found this at the bottom of the wardrobe. I quite liked the idea I had at the time but then came to a stop because I wasn't sure about how to finish it, and I had forgotten all about it.

I needed to reduce the amount of black and also make it less symmetrical (golden rule of paintings, if you put a line down the middle, both sides should be different). Dancing came to mind with this painting so to enhance that theme I added more pattern to the left hand side. For more variation (remember 'Scale' in Day 1's painting?) I made the shapes larger on the left hand side. I aso made the right hand side darker as the colour variation was also the same through out (another rule - variation). The black background has some texture created when I gessoed the board and I added some red and blue so the black was less flat. This doesn't show in the photo but does add depth.

I could have spent days getting obsessed with the shapes and line sizes and making sure non of the paint bled into each other, but I it became a game of diminishing returns. I may return to it later to scumble some colour on the larger shape to add variety and make the blocks less flat.

I like the painting much better now and feel it has lots of energy. What are your thoughts?

CONNECT WITH ME:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.