06 January 2017

Nod to Monet, Day 6 30 paintings in 30 days


Nod to Monet
Palette knife painting
Oil, 55x46cm on stretched canvas

Day 6 of Jan 2017 30 paintings challenge
Click Here to see Day 5's painting
Another painting that started out a few years ago. I used to participate a lot in several monthly challenges on wetcanvas.com, it is a great website with forums for everything and everyone is so helpful to beginners and it is where I learnt so much about art. 
A forum I used to participate in most of the time was the Floral and Botanical forum. One of their monthly challenges was to paint waterliles. I chose to paint water lilies รก la Monet. Not too bad for my stage of painting at the time, but nothing spectacular. Having changed computers a few times since then, the original photo is lost in time. Over the last year, I have resurrected this painting and tried to bring it to life. Although the results were not bad, they were not good. Determined to not let a good canvas go to waste, I attacked it again and turned it into an abstract.
This was how it was left at my last attempt 


Today I scraped off the major bits of texture and looked at it again. Remembering the lessons from Nicholas Wilton about 'scale', once again the painting seemed to be very similar on both sides and most of the colour blocks were the same size. I increased the size of some of the colour blocks and highlighted an eye path through the painting to a focal point of the brightest pink. I think that area still needs some work, but it works much better. As you see, me and my painting have a lot of history. Give me your input and let me know what else this painting needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.