26 January 2017

IMMUTABLE Pen and Wash Drawing - Day 26 of the 30 day challenge


Immutable
Pean and Wash
30x40cm (12x16in) on watercolour paper
Day 26 of Jan 2017 30 paintings challenge
Click Here to see Day 21's painting

Continuing yesterday's theme with pen and wash in a larger format. Instead of using Chinese ink (which is so so black) I used black watercolour for a much softer black. I paid good attention to composition rules, no shape the same size, interesting lines avoiding straight and parallel lines, variety of marks. Even so I still ended up with some similar repeated shapes.

Once again this was created in the evening sitting on the sofa and half-watching tv. I just managed to finish it as I stopped for an hour to actually watch SKY Portrait Artist of the Year. All nine contestants, a mix of professional and amateur, produced some stunning celebrity portraits. It's a genre I've always shied away from - Maybe that could be my next subject for September's challenge!


I decided I went a bit overboard with the wash, so I will tone down areas of the background wash.



I also washed over one of yesterday's paintings with yellow ochre to see what the effect would be:

Another interesting effect. Sepia ink instead of black, would also work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.