12 January 2017

In the Deep Acrylic Abstract Painting, Day 12 of the 30 paintings challenge

IN THE DEEP
30x40cm (12"x16") acrylic on water colour paper

Day 11 of Jan 2017 30 paintings challenge
Click Here to see Day 10's painting

Today I wanted to explore blending combined with the texture from day 9's painting. I also liked the blue/green scheme in that painting so went with that.

I gave the paper a coating with white acrylic paint which provided a nice slippery surface for blending. My blending technique needs working on as the acrylics do not behave like oils! I discovered I have a natural tendency to veer towards the sweeping curved lines so went with that.

I love the feeling of placing the dark paint mixed with gel medium on the paper with a palette knife. The result is unpredictable and gives a painterly feel without much work LOL. The way the paint sticks, including the accidental touching of the paper with the paint suggests how the painting should progress. Sorry no progress photos today - too busy painting.

Not a bad effort but after seeing the uploaded photo maybe I should add some purple/violet to offset all those cool colours. What would you do?

Foot note: After looking at this again, I think I will crop it and add purple (used photoshop to see what it would look like).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.