Acrylic abstract painting
Day 18 of Jan 2017 30 paintings challenge
Click Here to see Day 17's painting
I started off this painting with the idea of a smooth middle section and highly textured top and bottom section. I ripped some NOT watercolour paper to give bevelled edges and used that as the middle strip.
I created a vertical texture in the top third and a slanted texture with a palette knife at the bottom. This gave a large area at the bottom but it all had a similar texture, so, again with the palette knife, I made one part rougher than the rest. Again, to break up the remaining larger bottom left hand section I put in circles of white paint in a diagonal direction. This is where it was at the end of the day.
The textured area was not as textured as I wanted but decided to see what I could do with it. I added more colours at the top, spritzing it a little in the hope that it would pool at the top of the ripped paper. I did the same with the lower rough areas using stronger paint. The colours I used were Quinacridone nickel azo gold and teal and I was mindful that I wanted a muted effect. Staying with these two colours, I added circles to link the upper and lower sections using a bottle top. I needed some smaller circles but could not find anything to use. My husband came to the rescue with a ring spanner, et voilà the painting was finished (I think!).